August 19, 2011

"To unpathed waters, undreamed shores." ~William Shakespeare

Every Grain of Sand

I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame
And every time I pass that way 
I always hear my name
Then onward in my journey
I come to understand
That every hair is numbered 
like every grain of sand.

I have gone from rags to riches 
in the sorrow of the night
In the violence of a summer's dream, 
in the chill of wintry light
In the bitter dance of loneliness 
fading into space
In the broken mirror of innocence 
on each forgotten face.

I hear the ancient footsteps like the motion 
of the sea
Sometimes I turn, 
there's someone there, 
at other time it's me
I am hanging in the balance of the reality of man
Like every sparrow falling, 
like every grain of sand.


~Bob Dylan lyrics


A morning walk on the Brewster flats
Linnell Landing
2011

No comments: