February 02, 2008

"Seeing within changes one's outer vision."~Joesph Chilton Pearce



I don't separate photography from any other form of art. In the same way that the painter doesn't know what his finished masterpiece will look like before he starts painting it, a photographer can't tell you specifically what he's going out into the world to see. It's hard to describe to people when they ask me what I look for when I go out to take pictures. I honestly have no idea until I'm in front of something amazing. It stands out to me. Suddenly it's not just a sunset. It's a subtle contrast in color on the horizon, or an interesting reflection of light patterns on the surface of the water. When you're seeing the world in a way that's different to how you've been used to seeing it, suddenly the landscape becomes your canvas and your camera like the paint brush and the possibilities as to what you can create are endless.

Photography isn't rocket science. There's this idea going around that, in order to be a good photographer, or to even call yourself one, you need to own the latest million dollar camera, have a fancy tripod or a bunch of expensive lenses.  You don't.  Some of my best photographs were taken with cheap equipment and it's almost impossible to tell the difference. Just approach it like you would any new skill by studying it, surfing the web, and most importantly, trying out new things. Play around with new angles and light. I guarantee that the way you see the world will change, and suddenly. . . everything you see will have the potential to be a brilliant photograph.

Image taken at Rock Harbor, Orleans
Cape Cod


No comments: